Arsenal warned William Saliba future rests on key summer transfer decision after Andrea Berta arrival | OneFootball

Arsenal warned William Saliba future rests on key summer transfer decision after Andrea Berta arrival | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Evening Standard

Evening Standard

·4 April 2025

Arsenal warned William Saliba future rests on key summer transfer decision after Andrea Berta arrival

Article image:Arsenal warned William Saliba future rests on key summer transfer decision after Andrea Berta arrival

Sol Campbell hopes Saliba will be impressed by the club’s summer transfers

Arsenal legend Sol Campbell worries that William Saliba could depart if Andrea Berta does not nail his first transfer window as sporting director.


OneFootball Videos


Berta’s appointment was announced last week, with the former Atletico Madrid man set to play a key role in all transfer activity. He replaces Edu, who left Arsenal in favour of a portfolio of clubs owned by Evangelos Marinakis, chief among them Nottingham Forest.

But Campbell, who played at Arsenal between 2001 and 2006 after moving from Tottenham, has warned that Berta has little room for error in his first window and that a new contract for Saliba should be the top priority.

Speaking to Metro, he said: “Where Arsenal are right now, and with where they want to get to, they need to try and pin [Saliba] down to a new deal sooner rather than later.”

Saliba has stalled on extending his current deal, which is not due to expire until 2027. He said in March that he was happy at the club but in no rush to sign a new contract.

Article image:Arsenal warned William Saliba future rests on key summer transfer decision after Andrea Berta arrival

Arsenal invincible Sol Campbell (right) hopes Arsenal secure William Saliba extension

Offside via Getty Images

With the likes of Real Madrid reported to be interested in the Frenchman’s services, Campbell feels the player may be looking to keep his options open should Arsenal fail to bring in the right reinforcements.

He continued: “He’ll assess the type of players that Arsenal bring in and hopefully think, ‘Right, I’ve got some help now up front and in other places’ and be happy to sign a deal.

“But that’s on Arsenal to make that happen. That’s how you show players and convince them to stay. Watch what we do in the window and then come back and sign.”

He called on Berta to ensure the club throws its weight around in the summer transfer window, which this summer will be broken into two so as to allow Chelsea and Manchester City to add players ahead of the Club World Cup.

Arsenal’s most pressing transfer requirement is a prolific striker. As Gabriel Jesus struggles with injury and Kai Havertz not quite performing to the standard required, a consistent goalscorer could be the final piece of the puzzle as the Gunners look to claim a first Premier League title since 2004.

Among the names linked with a move to N5 are Sporting’s Viktor Gyokeres and Benjamin Sesko of RB Leipzig, and Campbell believes Berta’s career on the continent could help to secure their signatures.

He explained: “He’s going to bring a different type of feel. It’s going to unlock some doors that maybe were shut. Everybody comes with their own book or contacts and relationships in the network of European football so that will bring a new dynamic to Arteta’s team.”

With the window due to open on June 1, the clock is ticking as Berta begins his preparations.

View publisher imprint