Get French Football News
·4 April 2025
‘I’m not a delinquent nor criminal’ – Roberto De Zerbi reacts to revelations over clash with Marseille players

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsGet French Football News
·4 April 2025
The stage was set on Friday for Roberto De Zerbi’s press conference on Friday afternoon following L’Équipe‘s report on last night that the Italian coach had refused to train his players on Monday, with a small mutiny reportedly taking place by OM players. At a press conference attended by Get French Football News, De Zerbi came out swinging against the report. “I’ve had a very difficult week, like everyone else. I’m going to speak clearly about everything that has been said and written. I want to get the best out of my players and we’ve done some good things this year.”“I always make my decisions for the club,” continued De Zerbi on this weeks events. “The things that happened this week are normal things that happen everywhere else. Pablo and Mehdi supported me, the players, many of them, even those who don’t like to talk. They all came to talk to me, to tell me they were with me. Since Tuesday’s training, I have been observing, the coach can’t talk every day.““But I do not accept that we do things below our maximum limit. With my extreme methods, I try to lead OM to our final objective. Some people make me out to be a criminal, it’s not fair, I am a good person,” said on his perception in the the media.
“At the club, they tell me I’m too nice. Mehdi Benatia, I’m united with him. I read that he had a mediating role? It annoyed me, I don’t have any players against me, it’s not true. I don’t want to be liked by everyone. My mum called me this morning and asked me: what did you do? Making out that I was a criminal and a delinquent when I’m not.”Following last Saturday’s loss to Reims, La Provence reported that Marseille’s players were ordered to spend the night at the La Commanderie training ground. Marseille’s coaching staff also informed players that their rest days had been cancelled on Sunday and Monday – when the latest altercation between the players and De Zerbi reportedly occured.De Zerbi told players “I won’t train you today,” on Monday at the Commanderie training ground in Marseille. In response, players had felt abandoned by the Italian coach and retorted “Then we won’t train either.”GFFN | George Boxall – reporting from La Commanderie, Marseille.